1843 Building sites advertised for sale at the "Sea-Bathing Station of St. Edmund's in Hunstanton, near Lynn". (The resort was the brainchild of Henry Styleman le Strange (1815-1862) who also designed the nave ceiling of Ely Cathedral).
1846 Golden Lion Hotel. First known as the New Inn then for a short time as the Royal Hotel and Commercial Inn, it was once nicknamed "le Strange's Folly" as it appeared to have been built in the middle of nowhere, there being no other building between Heacham and the St. Edmund's Chapel Ruins near the Lighthouse.
1846 Cross on the Green. (Previously sited at Gypsy Green, Old Hunstanton, and may have come originally from Snettisham. It is assumed to be the reeded shaft of an old village cross).
1846 Summertime boat trips inaugurated between King’s Lynn and Hunstanton.
1850's No's 1 and 3 Hill Street. These cottages are believed to be the oldest surviving homes in Hunstanton. No 1 was the gamekeeper's cottage, No 3 the residence of the bailiff to the le Strange Estate. The exact dates of the building are not known. The oldest homes may have been two Fisherman's Cottages in the High Street, long since demolished.
1859 The only roads were a track leading to the Golden Lion Hotel and Chingle Pit Road (now Westgate).
1861 Population 490
1862 Hunstanton to King's Lynn Railway line opened, at a cost of £80,000. Valentine Road was named after the engineer who built the line. It closed down in 1969.
1862 The death occurred of Henry Styleman le Strange, the man who planned and created the resort.
1863 Train de-railed after hitting a bullock 1/2 mile from Wootton. Seven killed, 20 injured. Early reports stated 5 killed, 2 more possibly died later.
1863/1864 Brenda Lodge (now Green Lodge Restaurant) and Minna Lodge (Now Cassie's Restaurant) built (North end of le Strange Terrace)
1865 Work started on St Edmund's Church. Opened in 1866, dedicated in 1872 and consecrated in 1903, the church was built to Henry Styleman le Strange's design, and followed the ground-plan and proportions of its mother church, St. Mary's.
1866 40-42 Church Street.
1867 R.N.L.I. lifeboat station established. The first lifeboat, "The Licensed Victualler" launched. Station closes 1931 - 1979, then re-established with an inshore lifeboat.
1868 Cliff fall of around 2,000 tons occurred near lighthouse.
1868 Lamberts grocer's shop in Westgate opened.
1870 Union Congregational Chapel. (Union Church in Westgate). Cost £750.
1870 Hunstanton Pier. 830 feet long. (Destroyed in storm 1978).
1871 Population 810.
1872 Barclay's Bank.
1872 Dolphins - porpoises seen off shore.
1872 Victoria Buildings in Greevegate (between Barclay's Bank and lane) (The road beyond the lane was then known as Royal Parade).
1872 Hunstanton Convalescent Home in High Street (see 1879).
1873 Cliff Terrace built.
1874 Church Street cottages (east side between Westgate and James Street)
1874/1875 Hunstanton Elementary School (Now First School) opened Jan 3rd 1876.
1874 Glebe House School (began as St. Edmund's School. Name changed, at a later date). St Edmund’s moved to Surrey in 1900. Mr Howard Cambridge Barber took over the buildings, renamed it Glebe House School and was headmaster for 40 years. Two other schools of a later period both bore the name of St Edmunds, but not at the same time.
1875 Homefields High Class School for girls, later Homefields Hotel, now the United Services Club.
1875 Sandringham Hotel built by the Great Eastern Railway Company. Used by the army during the Second World War, later housed the Town Council offices and branch of the County Library. Demolished in 1967. Site now occupied by Harlequin House.
1875 Police Station in James Street and Valentine Road. (Now private home).
1879 Hunstanton Convalescent Home in Valentine Road. Closed 1979. Later converted into flats.
1881 The town had "two hotels, a pier and many handsome terraces".
1881 The population of Hunstanton numbered 1508.
1884 Oriel Lodge (Homefields Road) built for Colonel Patrick, founder of the King’s Lynn timber merchants, Patrick and Thompson.
1886 The present High Street was a small by-road with cottages on the east side only.
1888 New Hunstanton, otherwise Hunstanton St. Edmund, created as a separate Parish.
1889 "Salacia" wrecked off Hunstanton Cliffs.
1889 Wesleyan Chapel in Austin Street. Made of galvanized iron. See 1896.
1890 Lynn and Hunstanton Railway Company sold to Great Eastern Railway.
1891 Hunstanton Golf Club founded. (A nine hole course was extended to 18 holes in 1895)
1892 Hunstanton Football Club formed.
1894 Hunstanton granted Urban District Council status.
1894 Hunstanton water tower erected at top end of Lincoln Street. (not to be confused with Heacham Water Tower on top of Redgate Hill).
It was demolished in 1974 in spite of protests from conservationists.
1895 Isolation Hospital built on Redgate Hill.
1896 Hunstanton Town Hall built at a cost of £2,200 was opened by Countess of Cottenham. The silver key used for the ceremony was subsequently lost, only to be re-discovered at a jumble sale in Battersea in 1964.
1896 West Norfolk Recreation Ground.
1896 Hunstanton Methodist Church replaces 1889 chapel.
1897 Cliff area opened to Public.
1899 Post Office in High Street.
1900 Lifeboat House
1900 Numbers 9 to 11 Avenue Road.
1900 "The Lounge" built on North Promenade. It was later known as "The Palm Court", then the "Children's Corner". Now the site of the Hunstanton Sailing Club headquarters.
1901 Hunstanton population numbers 1893.
1901 Hunstanton water tower. (New structure built outside the 1894 tower).
1901 Glebe Hotel. Demolished 1972. (Now the site of Buckingham Court).
1901 Cornwall Terrace in York Avenue.
1902 Railway Footbridge.
1903 Rhianva College in Southgate (now Northgate). The college moved later to Cliff Parade. Pupils were evacuated in 1940 and the school never returned. Building later converted into flats. Demolished 1998. New Block of flats built 1999.
1903/4 Roman Catholic Church. (Extended 1958).
1906 St Christopher's Church of England Home for Waifs and Strays. Later the St Christopher's Home for Boys, now the Sandcastle Holiday Home run by the Charity "Break".
1906/1907 Addenbrookes Home of Recovery. (Converted into Marine Court flats after 1980).
1907 Children's Convalescent Home in Valentine Road. Used as a hospital for wounded soldiers in World War I, later as a private school. Now the offices of the King's Lynn and West Norfolk Borough Council (Tourism Dept).
1910 Mr Herbert Ward, Hon Sec of the Lifeboat Station, fell to his death off the cliffs while walking home.
1910 Whale washed up on beach. (Another one in 1933).
1911 Bandstand on North Promenade. (Demolished 1947).
1911 Hunstanton's population numbered 2510.
1911 Hunstanton Croquet Club was formed though Croquet tournaments were held on the recreation ground as far back as 1900.
1911 Heacham Water Tower on Redgate Hill - Conveyance of Land. (Date of actual construction not known). Converted into flats early 1980's.
1912 Alice Oliphant Hostel at Old Hunstanton.
1912 Train crashed into side of Sandringham Hotel.
1914-1918 World War One. First reports of the Battle of Jutland received at wireless stations on Cliff Top.
1914 During the first German Airship raid on Great Britain a Zeppelin passed over Hunstanton.
1914 H.G. Wells and Rebecca West set up a 'love-nest' in a Victoria Avenue lodging house where their son Anthony was born.
1914 There were fourteen (14) daily trains to London.
1915 Zeppelin dropped bomb on farmland between Victoria Avenue and Lighthouse.
1919 National Provincial and Union Bank of England. (Now the Nat West).
1922 Mikado Concert Hall and Oriental Bazaar destroyed by fire.
1925 Hunstanton population 3,100.
1926 P.G. Wodehouse stayed at Hunstanton Hall, the first of many visits.
1927 Alexandra Road Cemetery opened.
1928 South Beach sea wall built.
1928 Blue Lagoon Swimming Pool. (The pool was used in 1927 but officially opened in 1928. It was demolished in 1967).
1929 Miss Mercedes Gleitz became the first person to swim the Wash. She was given a reception at Hunstanton. She had earlier performed the opening ceremony at the Blue Lagoon.
1929 Speedboat rides introduced.
1929 Hunstanton Open Tennis Tournament began.
1931 Hunstanton population numbers 3032.
1932 Capitol Cinema, later the Kingsley Centre, now the Princess Theatre. The first film was "The Desert Song". (The building was previously Simpson's Hotel).
1932 Boating Lake. (Now the site of the Sea Life Centre).
1932 (?1935) Kit Kat Restaurant and Ballroom (later Sands Night Club) Destroyed by fire 1998.
1933 Whale washed upon beach.
1934 Airwomen Pauline Gower and Dorothy Spicer gave five-shilling flights from Searle's field.
1936 Searle's Holiday Centre (began as a small camping ground for tents and caravans).
1936 Esplanade Bowls Club.
1937 St Edmund's Café on North Promenade destroyed by fire.
1937/1938 First "Old Tin Can" football match between Hunstanton Football Club and the East Fulham Labour Club.
1939 Pier Pavilion, built 1890, destroyed by fire.
1939/1945 Second World War.
1940 Rhianva College and Lydgate House schools evacuated. Neither school returned after the war. Rhianva demolished 1998.
1940 Sandringham Hotel requisitioned by the Army.
1941 Hunstanton bombed (The Green, Church Street and Westgate).
1942 First Hunstanton Festival.
1946 The Hunstanton-King's Lynn Road was reported to be the second busiest road in the country at the height of the holiday season.
1948 Hunstanton Hall sold to a Lancashire stockbroker and converted into flats.
1949 Hunstanton Sailing Club formed.
1952/1962 United States Army Air Force personnel based at Sculthorpe "occupy" Hunstanton with around 1,000 servicemen, their wives and families. The town was nicknamed "Little Brooklyn".
1953 East Coast Floods. South Beach area badly affected with 31 deaths, 16 of them American. American serviceman Reis Leming saved 27 lives and was awarded the George Medal. The Queen visits the town.
1953 Lighthouse tower used as Royal Observer Corps Post until 1965.
1957 Smithdon High School. The school has a world-wide reputation as a significant structure and receives many visits from foreign architects anxious to see the earliest example in Britain of what became known as the New Brutalism movement.
1957 First Christmas Swim organised by Hunstanton Seagulls Swimming Club. (Sponsored from 1971).
1957 "Barnacle Bill" film starring Alec Guinness, also featuring Maurice Denham, Jackie Collins and many local people as "extras", including George Raines.
1960 New Urban District Council offices in Westgate, now the headquarters of
Swain's International. (The Council previously had their offices in the Sandringham Hotel).
1962 First water ski race across the Wash started from Holme. Nearly all subsequent crossings started from Hunstanton.
1962 11 passenger trains ran between Hunstanton and King’s Lynn on weekdays, 6 on Sundays.
1962 Amusement Arcade at landward end of pier.
1963 Sea freezes off Hunstanton. (Also in 1940).
1963 Bus Station on site of former Westgate Gardens.
1963 Hunstanton Coastguard station, which closed down in 1938, re-opened the wireless tower as a Look-Out post and training centre.
1963 Two-storey amusement arcade at Hunstanton Pier.
1964 Hunstanton County Library opens.
1964 First 'double crossing' of the Wash on water skis.
1964 Youth and Community Centre built on former lavender field. Previously the Youth Centre was in the lower room of the Town Hall.
1964 Lighthouse becomes holiday home after being sold by Town Council for £4,760.
1965 First Wash Ski race.
1966 Bell stolen from arch of the ruined St Edmund's Chapel.
1967 Sandringham Hotel demolished. (Built 1875).
1967 Blue Lagoon Demolished
1978 Hunstanton Pier Destroyed by Storm
1996 Hunstanton Celebrated its 150th Anniversary
1998 Kit Kat Destroyed by Fire
2001 CHS Amusements destroyed by Fire