The 'handsome and commodious pavilion', added in the 1890s, was destroyed by fire on 11th June 1939 and was not replaced.
After World War II, the pier housed a roller-skating centre and a small zoo and 'starred' in the 1956 film 'Barnacle Bill'. A miniature steam railway, powered by a Bassett-Lowke engine, ran the length of the pier. The line was dismantled in the 1950s.
On 11th January 1978, a storm destroyed most of the pier and a small section at the end was removed by the council some weeks later. The shoreward end amusement arcade survived, along with one set of piles, to remind people of what had arguably been East Anglia's finest pier.
However, in 2002, the entire building, as well as the remains of the pier, were destroyed in a fire. As the building was so badly damaged, firemen could not determine the cause of the fire. Today, a new arcade and bowling alley complex occupies the site, but although the building is still referred to locally as the 'Pier', there is virtually nothing left that could be described as a pier in any real sense.