Although there are no direct connections with this story and Hunstanton, there are in St Edmund's Church, Hunstanton several reminders of the story. There is a small wall sculpture at the entrance of the Baptistry at the West End of the Church. There is another depiction of the Wolf built into the stonework on the door outside the choir vestry, both of which were placed at the time of building the Church. Newer arrivals include 4 wolfs heads as part of the design of the stained glass windows depicting the life of St Edmund.
|St Edmund's Church - Hunstanton - Baptistry - Wolf guarding the head of St. Edmund from the birds of the forest.|
|St Edmund's Church - Hunstanton - Wolf in stonework in entrance to the choir vestry.|
|St Edmund's Church - Hunstanton - Wolves heads in stained glass windows.|
|Hadleigh - Essex - Carved pew end|
|Hoxne - Suffolk - Carved pew end with wolf decapitated at the time of the reformation|
|Greanstead - Essex - The wooden church where the body of Edmund rested on its journey to London to evade the Vikings|
|St Edmundsbury Cathedral - carving on the Bishop's Chair|
|St Edmundsbury Cathedral Tapestry|
|Bury St Edmunds Coat of Arms Granted 1606|
|Hoxne - stump of the reputed oak tree to which Edmund was tied at his martyrdom|
|Hoxne - Cross on the site of the oak tree|
Over a month after the death of Edmund on December 30th 870, Edmund's supporters dared to venture back to the scene of the slaughter. They quickly found the headless body which miraculously had not been touched by the animals and birds of the forest. But nowhere could they find Edmund's head. Guided by the witness they found the correct part of the forest but they still could not find the head. Night was falling and suddenly in the gloom they heard St Edmund's voice crying out "Here! Here! Here!" recovering from the shock of hearing the King's voice they hurried to the spot and a strange sight awaited them. In the shadows of the trees a huge great wolf crouched motionless and between its great paws rested the king's head, totally unharmed. As they ran upto the spot the wolf got up and quietly retreated into the forest.
Legend, Myth or Miracle?
There is a historical twist to the story. In a letter from a vicar at Hoxne around 1890, he describes when digging in some foundations in Bury St Edmunds, a small stone chest was found. Inside the chest was a collection of strange bones, obviously not human, but as it was thought at the time of a large dog. The bones were sent to experts in London, who despite not knowing anything of the circumstances, pronounced them to be the bones of a wolf.